In the past few years the real estate industry has seen a seismic shift in how buyers buy and sellers sell. Like virtually everything in our society, from hotel stays to cab rides, the internet has transformed how people shop for homes.
Many real estate agents will tell you to never underestimate the importance of a buyer’s first impression. A few years ago, first impressions happened when the buyer walked up to the house and saw the yard and the front door for the first time. Now, first impressions can happen from literally anywhere in the world.
Because of this, photographs of homes have never been more important.
You don’t have to be a professional to get great photos. In fact, with these five tips and a smartphone, you’ll be able to take pictures that look remarkably close to the ones the pros take.
- Buy a wide-angle lens for your phone. Almost every home photo is taken with a wide-angle lens, which gives more depth and makes rooms appear more spacious. Clip-on lenses from olloclip allow you to transform your phone and take these premium shots.
- Use natural light. You can get great photos using flash and artificial light, but that’s really an art best left to the experts. Amateur photographers should take advantage of natural light, as it is the easiest and, in many ways, the most effective way to capture the beauty of your home.
- Wait for the magic hour. Photographers call the hour after sunrise and before sunset the magic hour. The light at this time is soft, without the harsh light or shadows that come at other times of the day. So when you take pictures using natural light, remember to do so during the magic hour.
- Get a photography app. Your phone takes great photos, but apps like Camera+ or VividHDR will really make your photos pop.
- Learn from the experts. Spend some time looking through professional real estate photos and find some you really like, then try to replicate them in your own home. Take note of how they use the angles in certain rooms or incorporate features like kitchen islands and cabinets.
For more advice on selling your home, talk to a Coldwell Banker Hedges Realtor® today. Along with knowing plenty of tips and secrets, they know the Cedar Rapids market and can help you get top dollar for your home.