Selling your home? Know who's buying and stage accordingly

Staging your home is an underappreciated art. A well-staged home has personality, showing how livable a place can be and inviting potential buyers to imagine how they might be able to make your home their own.

This of course means that you can’t keep those trinkets you got on vacation lying around, and the same goes for your family photos or other personal effects. 

If the staging is too generic, though, your home can look like a hotel.

When the time comes to sell your home, however, the question you should ask is: Whom should I try to target?

Who’s buying?

Conventional wisdom says to aim for married couples, a demographic that makes up 54 percent of the home-buying market — by far the largest share, according to the National Association of Realtors. If you add in the percentage of unmarried couples who buy a house together (15 percent), then couples — married or not — make up a whopping 69 percent of the home-buying market.

If you’re a gambler, that’s a 2:1 shot that a couple will buy your home. With this in mind, it would make sense to stage your home in a way that appeals to couples and families.

But if you do that, are you leaving out too large a share of the market?

The singles' market

Behind married couples, single women are now the second largest segment of homebuyers. In fact, there’s an 18 percent chance you’ll sell your home to a single woman. Some ways of appealing to them can include:

Don’t just assume everyone wants or has kids — It can be tempting to bring out your child’s old crib and create a nursery to lure prospective buyers, but this can turn off a lot of singles. Try to keep your home baby-neutral. Instead of staging for a nursery, stage a craft room.

Home office — with more people working from home than ever before, a home with a comfortable workspace is essential for many people.

Show your home is technologically compatible — A home that’s set up with the latest technology sends a signal that this is a modern and a convenient place to live. Consider installing a smart thermostat and doing away with the tangle of wires next to your television. You can also add small touches, like a tastefully staged tablet on the dining room table.

For more insights into strategies to sell your home, talk to a Coldwell Banker Hedges Realtor® today. They have a wealth of experience and know how to help you complete the process of selling your home.

Blog Archives

Tags