Birthdays, graduations, anniversaries — these are all great reasons to celebrate, but nothing calls for a celebration like moving into a new home. Whether it’s your first home or seventh, the sheer relief of having the paperwork behind you and a beautiful new home in front of you makes for a great reason to throw a party.
To show off your new home and usher in a new period in your family’s life, here are five tips for throwing a knock-out housewarming party.
- Pick the right date – If, in the real estate world, location is everything, then when it comes to planning a housewarming party, timing is everything. You don’t want guests to be sitting on boxes at the party, so don’t plan it too soon after you’ve moved in. Also, you don’t want to wait and have people say, “Didn’t they move 6 months ago?” We recommend scheduling your party for about 3 weeks after moving in. If this seems too early, consider it encouragement to unpack and decorate!
- Prop open the door – We’re guessing that you invited close friends and relatives to the party. If so, keep the door open and allow people to freely come and go. This will immediately create a warm and inviting feel at your new house.
- Arrange furniture to create a sense of open space – Since you’ll have a lot of people walking through the living room and dining room areas, you want them to move freely and really enjoy the space. Not only is this effective for housewarming parties, but overall, it’s a great decorating strategy!
- Snacks – You should have a table of snacks, preferably finger foods, for guests to munch on. Ideally, they shouldn’t need more than a napkin while eating. Remember, in these situations, toothpicks are always better than forks.
- Party Favors – Once the guests leave, make sure they go home with something special, such as a token of appreciation. Some ideas might include a miniature bottle of wine and a box of chocolates, or a bag of homemade cookies with a note saying they’re among the first batch of cookies baked in your new house.
For more quick and easy tips - check out this video!
If you’re thinking about moving into a new home so you can throw one of these parties, talk to a Coldwell Banker Hedges Realtor® for expert advice that will make your journey as easy as possible.